Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Sumo's Feast

Another completely random personal work.


Many times, when I do pieces like these, the final drawing arises from an organic flow of thoughts during the sketching process. The final result is rarely what I envisioned when I first put pen to paper.

Let's use this drawing as a case study: I was sketching faces...heavyset faces. I generally find old people and heavyset people more fun to draw (more details in the facial and body features). I thought to myself, "I don't really want to draw a shirt...but I don't really want to draw a naked fat guy right now, either." So I justified the lack of shirt by making him into a sumo wrestler. I drew a bowl of rice and put a pair of chopsticks in his hands.

But then I thought, "One tiny bowl of rice for a sumo wrestler? No way!" I doubled the canvas size and drew every Japanese dish I could think of (which I've been craving ever since). And voila!

After I finished, I wondered what a sumo mealtime actually looks like. I hadn't used any reference for this particular drawing, and my curiosity led me to a Google image search. I quickly learned that reality is far more ridiculous than my drawing. Look at this!


Amazing. I think I'm going to have to draw Part 2.

1 comment: